Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Which CD??

  1. #1
    Inactive Member palmerlouie's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 18th, 2002
    Posts
    785
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    if you had to choose between the two CD's....what would it be and why.

    VIRGIL DONATI * JUST ADD WATER

    GREG MATHIESON, MICHAEL LANDAU, ABE LABORIEL, VINNIE COLAIUTA * LIVE AT THE BAKED POTATO 2000

    thanks.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    It is definitely a "turn on the pro tools" and jam CD. There are NO songs, just meandering improvs. I may still have it or else I gave it away. It sounded like Virg wasn't listening to the other guys and was too busy playing his licks. There were a couple of moments where I thought, "Great guitar riff", but V ignored it and changed what he was playing, disrupting any idea development.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I neglected to mention I was referring to Just Add Water.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's a pretty good assessment of JAW. Though it's interesting, but i wouldn't necessarily consider it a must buy.
    I thought the Potato one was suppoesed to be the sheet. [?!]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 11, 2004 02:37 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member McKenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 28th, 2003
    Posts
    531
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Just Add Water disc meanders at times. Probably due to the fact that it was ALL a non rehearsed spontaneous jam. And there are NO!! overdubs at all and no second takes, that according to Virg. So for what it is I think it is very cool. Just a whole different animal altogether. Sure was not meant to be songs in the context of what we usually think song's are meant to be. Just like it say's it's Jammin. But it is quite good considering how it came about. There are certain jam's that are much better than other's. I would like to hear 3 other guy's thrown together in a room and someone said just play and whatever happens happens and see what the quality might be.

    Dig

  6. #6
    Inactive Member drumrobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2004
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'd get the vinnie CD. I really like this one, there are some great songs and really nice vinnie grooves and licks throughout. As far as the Virgil CD, I'd agree with the others, but I must admit to not being that big of Virgil fan to begin with.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Derek DeFields's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2001
    Posts
    1,144
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's funny. That's my favorite Virgil disc. [img]eek.gif[/img]

    The Vinnie one is better though.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just went back & listened to 3 tracks off JAW, so this might sound a little like I'm flip-flopping, but I'm really not...I likes it.

    However, the statement still stands that it is as I & Dij said - a 'roll tape & play,' once-over/1 shot through deal. Not super-rehearsed, overly pre-planned, or long-thought-out pre-written songs. So I have that in mind when I listen to it. But it basically used to say this next to it at Virg's site anyway. So keep that in mind if you buy it.

    I take it the BP gig that LP referred to is NOT the same as the vid w VC that is showing on the tube in Steve & T's comic vid; if it is, then I want it. BAD. If not, I still want it. BAD. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 11, 2004 11:20 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Get both [img]wink.gif[/img] .

    I don't have #2, but from the full mp3 song & clips I have heard from it, & also WHAT I've heard ABOUT it, then i'd prob choose the 2nd over the 1st, tho.
    Both are/seem to be good but seem to be diff from each other.
    I have mp3s of JAW, & it's basically sounds like a 'turn on the recordg & let's jam' type of thing...whereas you know that the BP/VC thing has that factor too, but more composed/orchestrated parts AW...just an educated guess or 'guestimate' on my part. I'm sure someone will either back that up or correct me [img]wink.gif[/img] ...I'd say go with the ol' Vinmeister on this one; or rather, get OTV-SYI or Stretch, or Planet X Live Oz or Moonbabies if you wanna hear Virg shine...;c)

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 11, 2004 02:33 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    2 hands down

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •